Sunday, October 3, 2010

I herd you liek Jellyfish?

It's funny how an animals defense mechanism works; Even when the animal's very much deceased it's still just as active as it would be alive. My prime example would be a group of jellyfish i stumbled upon this recent summer at Ponte Vedra beach. My mother, brothers, and I were all enjoying a nice day at the beach as is normal for a summer day, but my brother and I decide to walk down the beach considering this particular one is accustomed to dead sea creatures and odd shells from end to end. As we walked a good 10 minutes we noticed there were a peculiarly large number of jellyfish floating to shore, we weren't sure why it was simply an observation. We picked a few of them up by their Bells to show our youngest brother knowing that touching the lappets would surely sting us if we touched it when our mom spotted a big Box jellyfish floating ashore. She rushed my youngest brother out of the water and tried her best to scoop said jellyfish out of the water and out of harm's way when we noticed the lappet was extraordinarily long. My mother, bless her heart, was too concerned with getting the jelly out of the water and didn't notice the giant tentacle she was about to step on when she felt the shocking sting hit her foot. The moral of sorts from this story is that wether alive or well past dead, a jellyfish's ability to sting is just as potent as ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment